PRESS RELEASE FROM J-1, JUBA
His Excellency President Salva Kiir Mayardit convened a Meeting of the Presidency on Tuesday, 10th of August 2021 in the Meeting Hall of the Ministry of Presidential Affairs, Juba, South Sudan.
The Meeting of the Presidency was conducted in a collegial manner as prescribed by the Revitalised Agreement on the Resolution of Conflict in the Republic of South Sudan (R-ARCSS) and attended by The First Vice President, His Excellency Dr Riek Machar Teny and Their Excellencies Vice Presidents Dr James Wani Igga, Hussein Abdelbagi Akol, Taban Deng Gai and Rebecca Nyandeng De’Mabior.
Also in attendance were The Presidential Advisor on Security Affairs, Hon. Tut Gatluak Manime and The Minister of Presidential Affairs, Hon. Dr Barnaba Marial Benjamin.
The purpose of the Meeting was to discuss the recent Kitgwang Declaration by the breakaway members of the SPLM/A-IO led by General Simon Gatwech Dual and General Johnson Olony and the violent clashes in Magenis, Upper Nile State.
After thorough deliberation,
- The Presidency strongly directs for the immediate cessation of hostilities between the SPLM/A-IO forces under the command of Dr Riek Machar Teny, and the breakaway SPLM/A- IO forces under the command of General Simon Gatwech Dual.
- The Presidency calls for calm in Magenis and discourages any interference to the ongoing implementation of the R-ARCSS. Furthermore, the Presidency encourages the parties to the R-ARCSS to adhere to the spirit of peace, reconciliation and healing.
- The Presidency directs the Security Supervision Mechanism (SSM) and the Ceasefire Transitional Security Arrangement, Monitoring and Verification Mechanism (CTSAMVM) to visit the areas of conflict in order to maintain calm and prevent any further violence.
- The Presidency directs the SPLM/A-IO forces under the command of Dr Riek Machar Teny and the breakaway forces under General Simon Gatwech Dual to observe a reasonable distance in order to safeguard against any further violence.
- The Presidency calls on the Joint Defence Board (JDB); the Joint Transitional Security Committee (JTSC); and the Joint Military Ceasefire Commission (JMCC) to visit the training centres and cantonment sites under the supervision of the National Transitional Committee (NTC).
- The Presidency calls for the immediate unification of the command of the forces and has directed First Vice President Dr Riek Machar Teny and Vice President Hussein Abdelbagi Akol to present their list of nominees for the unified command to His Excellency President Salva Kiir Mayardit. The unified command will include the South Sudan People’s Defence Forces; the South Sudan National Police Services; the National Security Services; the National Prisons Service; the Wildlife Forces; and the Civil Defence Forces.
- His Excellency President Salva Kiir Mayardit directs the parties to the R-ARCSS to endeavour to resolve conflicts amicably in order to ensure the safety and security of the citizens of the Republic of South Sudan.
The opinion expressed here is solely the view of the writer. The veracity of any claim made is the responsibility of the author, not PaanLuel Wël Media (PW) website. If you want to submit an opinion article, commentary or news analysis, please email it to the editor: [email protected] or [email protected]. PaanLuel Wël Media (PW) website do reserve the right to edit or reject material before publication. Please include your full name, a short biography, email address, city and the country you are writing from.